‘Horse and Rider’ was completed in 1975 and is a Grade II listed sculpture. The sculpture was commissioned by Trafalgar House in 1974 for their site on Dover Street at its junction with Piccadilly. It was modelled in plaster and then cast in bronze in the Southwark studio Frink took on having returned from France in 1973. Frink described it as an ageless symbol of man and horse. Another cast of this sculpture was permanently erected in Winchester in 1983.
‘Horse and Rider’ has been restored and relocated to a new home on the corner of New Bond Street and Burlington Gardens, central London, as part of the £10m public works to upgrade the area. The sculpture, unveiled on 26 June, will act as a new landmark for Bond Street and celebrate the new entrance to the Royal Academy of Arts in Burlington Gardens.
Dame Elisabeth Frink RA (1930-1993) was born in Suffolk and attended the Guildford School of Art in 1947 and the Chelsea School of Art 1949- 1953. Her first major commissions were the Harlow New Town Boar, and the Blind Beggar and Dog in Tower Hamlets. Her preferred sculptural technique involved modelling directly into plaster and then modifying the work with carving tools. Figurative sculptures of animals, particularly horses, and men, dominated her work, earning Frink a national and international reputation. She was elected a Royal Academician in 1977 and awarded a DBE in 1982.